Saturday 18 April 2009

That isn't music they listen to nowadays - it is crap, just noise meaningless noise...

Unlike the music we grew up with which had great lyrics, and melodies, and you could dance to it...

The Sweetheart and I just got back from seeing The Boat That Rocked The World.

Based on a story by a Radio Caroline DJ from the days of pirate radio stations in the UK. I used to read all about pirate radio stations like Caroline and Luxembourg and all their famous DJs in the English teeny mags we were allowed to buy, along with Go-Set and feeling slightly smug that we here in Australia because we had SO many stations to choose from. Even up in the Mallee.

I wanted to be a DJ, and I did voice production and radio presentation etc etc when I went to Mlebourne at 17, 18. But the only women on radio then were 3AW midnight to dawn and you had to sleep with a station manager (at least) to get that sort of job and I wasn't prepared to. Even when Phillip Brady told me I was 'so cute'...
Here is a Youtube clip of the London premier of the film with lots of that wonderful music, and a little trek down memory lane of fashion.

PS Now I rather think that Philip Brady is gay, but he scared me when I was a little thing and trying to break in to radio.

2 comments:

Clare said...

The music isn't the same anymore. I've heard some of the soundtrack of th film and can't wait to see it.

Liz said...

Being a girl from 'old blighty' way back when, I survived my teen years ('63 on) listening to Radio Luxembourg so will have to put the movie on the 'to see' list. Oh and yes, I'm sure Philip Brady is gay, wise decision you made there, Lizzie